In The Power of Parent-Child Play, I focus on how barriers to play can be broken into four different categories: time and energy limits, uncertainty about behavior or activities, lack of motivation, and family stress.
As we start this discussion, consider time and energy barriers. Do any of the following get in your way at the present time? Which have presented real struggles for you in the past?
- Hectic work schedules and demands (working at home or outside employment)
- Caring for your home and your family’s basic needs
- High-need children (including colicky babies, or children with special needs)
- A new baby
- A busy toddler or preschooler
- Volunteer activities
- Illness or injury in extended family
- Child related activities
Many of these busy activities are good and/or necessary. But do any of them interfere in some way with parent-child play and the intimacy it can bring?
Continue reading “Time and Energy Limits: Do you have time to play with your child?”