Greetings to Moms, Dads, Grandparents, Teachers and all Child Advocates!
This site has been created to help you nurture the children in your lives. My goal is to help you connect more joyfully and meaningfully with kids and teens, and help them learn. I also like to encourage parents to grow as individuals too.
Here I post material from my parenting books, plus tips from articles I’ve written for various national magazines over the past two decades. I write both general parenting tips and faith-based personal stories. I’ve had the honor of being been interviewed on radio talk-shows in nearly every US state and several countries, and love connecting with listeners as well as readers.
I’ve been writing since my first child was a toddler. He’s now a grown up Navy pilot! I also wrote while also raising my eldest daughter, who is now a teacher. Twenty-five years later, I’m still enjoying writing while raising another daughter, a teen who is an ever-whirling sports enthusiast.
I began my writing career in earnest in the 1990’s as a contributing editor for Christian Parenting Today magazine, and branched out from that, writing for 28 magazines including Parenting, Baby Talk, and Writer’s Digest.
My first two books were published by Tyndale House Publishers. I’ve been honored to have my writing included in eight additional books, published by Zondervan, Multnomah, Simon and Schuster, David C. Cook, and HCI (Chicken Soup for the Soul).
For the past 20 years I’ve been teaching others how to write and sell magazine articles. If you are an aspiring writer, you may enjoy my other blog: Sell Your Nonfiction.
My former education was in Occupational Therapy: I worked as a licensed C.O.T.A. in public schools and on a psychiatric unit. I returned to school in recent years to earn my Bachelors in Liberal Studies degree with Journalism Minor, at Iowa State University, focusing on communication, entrepreneurship, and the social sciences.
I currently have the honor of editing Finding God Daily in addition to trying to keep up with my own blogs. I also do publicity for publishers/authors on a freelance basis. One of my clients is Landauer Publishing who has beautiful books on cats, dogs, and quilt making.
Comments or questions on posts are welcome! I look forward to connecting with you.
- The Power of Parent-Child Play (2003, Tyndale House Publishers)
- Delight in Your Child’s Design (2005, Tyndale/Focus on the Family).
With articles and stories contributed to:
- The Ultimate Dog Lover (2009, HCI)
- Chicken Soup for the Soul: Best 101 Stories of Faith (2008, HCI)
- Chicken Soup for the Tea-Lover’s Soul (2007, HCI)
- Chicken Soup for the Christian Soul II (2006, HCI)
- Roar!: A Christian Family Guide to the Chronicles of Narnia (2005, Heather and David Kopp, Multnomah)
- Kisses of Sunshine for Women (2005, Carol Kent & Thelma Wells, Zondervan)
- The Write Start: Practical Advice for Successful Writing (2004, NCWA, PleasantWord)
- Christian Parenting Answers: Before Birth to Five Years (1994, Debra Evans editor, Chariot).
- plus a flip-calendar with humorous anecdotes: Life in Our House (1994, Christian Parenting Today Magazine, published by Hearts ‘n Home)
publications, 100+ article sales) click