Biography for Laurie Winslow Sargent, Parenting Author
Greetings to Moms, Dads, Grandparents, Teachers and all Child Advocates!
This site has been created to help you nurture the children in your lives. My goal is to help you connect more joyfully and meaningfully with kids and teens, and help them learn. I also like to encourage parents to grow as individuals.
Here I post material from my parenting books, The Power of Parent-Child Play and Delight in Your Child’s Design, plus tips from articles written for various national magazines over the past two decades.
I write general parenting tips and Christian faith-based personal stories, and how-to articles for writers. I also write on topics of general interest that catch my fancy (including my interview with an Olympic athlete in Norway). I’ve had the honor of being been interviewed on radio talk-shows in nearly every US state and several countries, and love connecting with listeners as well as readers. For drive-time radio shows on the east coast, of course that meant 5:00 AM interviews were done in my pajamas (my secret until now).
My first two books were published by Tyndale House Publishers; the revised edition of Delight in Your Child’s Design on Kindle was published by EABooks Publishing. It’s been a thrill to also have my writing included in eleven additional books, published by Zondervan, Multnomah, Simon and Schuster, David C. Cook, and HCI (Chicken Soup for the Soul) plus other publishers, along with amazing author friends in AWSA (Advanced Writers and Speakers Association).
I began writing in earnest in the 1990’s as a contributing editor for Christian Parenting Today magazine, and branched out from that, writing for many magazines including Parenting, Baby Talk, and Writer’s Digest. If you are curious about how writing for print magazines can lead to book writing, check out my Sell Your Nonfiction blog.
I’ve written since my children were all babies, then toddlers, then preschoolers, who all grew up to become very fine young adults! Son was a navy pilot and now works with high-tech medical devices. Eldest daughter is now an early childhood education teacher. My youngest daughter is still exploring what she wants to do for a career while running for her college track team.
My former education was in Occupational Therapy: I worked as a licensed C.O.T.A. in public schools and on a psychiatric unit. I went back to college in midlife to earn my Bachelors in Liberal Studies degree with Journalism Minor at Iowa State University, focusing on communication, entrepreneurship, and the social sciences.
Comments or questions on posts are welcome! I look forward to connecting with you.
- Delight in Your Child’s Design, Second Edition: How to Better Understand, Nurture, and Enjoy Your Child’s Unique Traits and Temperament (2016, EABooks Publishing)
- The Power of Parent-Child Play (2003, Tyndale House Publishers, Hardcover)
- Delight in Your Child’s Design (2005, Tyndale/Focus on the Family, Paperback)
With articles and stories contributed to these other books:
- Called to Pray: Astounding Stories of Answered Prayer (2015, Linda Evans Shepherd, Revell)
- The Ultimate Dog Lover (Compilation, 2009, HCI)
- Chicken Soup for the Soul: Best 101 Stories of Faith (2008, HCI)
- Chicken Soup for the Tea-Lover’s Soul (2007, HCI)
- Chicken Soup for the Christian Soul II (2006, HCI)
- Roar!: A Christian Family Guide to the Chronicles of Narnia (2005, Heather and David Kopp, Multnomah)
- Kisses of Sunshine for Women (2005, Carol Kent & Thelma Wells, Zondervan)
- The Write Start: Practical Advice for Successful Writing (2004, NCWA, PleasantWord)
- Christian Parenting Answers: Before Birth to Five Years (1994, Debra Evans editor, Chariot).
- plus a flip-calendar with humorous anecdotes: Life in Our House (1994, Christian Parenting Today Magazine, published by Hearts ‘n Home)
Laurie Winslow Sargent has sold to 28 magazines–international, national, & regional–averaging 300K readers, but with up to 1 million readers.
- PARENTING articles: sold to/published in Parenting, Baby Talk, Focus on the Family, Christian Parenting Today (columnist and contributing editor), Parents of Teenagers, Connecticut Parent, LA Parent, Catholic Parent, MomSense, and others.
- WRITING HOW-TO articles: sold to/published in Writer’s Digest and others.
- GENERAL INTEREST articles: sold to/published in: LION Magazine, Washington Magazine, Sons of Norway Magazine, Career Woman, Career Focus, Facets, Women’s Circle, and others.
- INSPIRATIONAL stories: sold to/published in Virtue, Today’s Christian Woman, Power for Living, with other stories posted online at Finding God Daily (some reprinted in the Chicken Soup for the Soul books.)
- HUMOROUS anecdotes: sold to/published in Reader’s Digest and Christian Parenting Today (including flip calendar).
publications, 100+ article sales) click